A guided tour of Melton Mowbrays Military history

Loading Events

HistoryFare Tours are designed to take you on a walk through history to discover the wonderful heritage of our historic market town of Melton Mowbray.

The Melton Mowbray Military History Walking Tour will take you on a journey around the town centre looking at the town’s rich military history going back 100’s of years ranging from the Medieval Period and the Knights Templars right through to today.

In the Medieval period, the Lords of the Manor of Melton Mowbray accompanied the Knights Templar on the crusades to the Holy Land.

During the period of the English Civil War, there were several skirmishes and battles in the Melton area between 1643 – 1645 with Melton being a Roundhead garrison.

At the height of the hunting period in the late 1800’s numerous military officers made Melton their home during the hunting season.

Following the Boer War, the army’s animal strength was increased to 25,000 and two additional depots were opened. No 3 Remount Depot opened in Melton Mowbray, caring for the Army’s horses and mules in 1903 and is still going strong today.

As well as the remount depot, there were two territorial units based in Melton which were called up during WW1, the 1/5th Leicestershire Regiment and C Sqn of the Leicestershire Yeomanry. The Melton volunteers also saw service during the 2nd Boer War/South Africa War.

Also during WW1, No 38 Squadron of the Royal Flying Corps set up their HQ in town and flew from several airfields in the area.

To support the wounded being evacuated from the Western Front, a VAD hospital catering for 50 beds was set up at Wicklow Lodge just up Burton Road.  From when it received its first casualties in January 1915 to its closure in April 1919, 1484 sick and wounded soldiers were treated there with the majority arriving by train at the station just behind us from the 5th Northern General Hospital in Leicester.

Jumping forward to WW2, the Remount Depot continued to train horses but expanded with the arrival of the Cypriuot Mule Comoany as well as Paratroopers from the 11th Battalion Parachute Regiment who were based at the camp from May 44 until there return from Arnhem when they were replaced with the 3rd Battalion Parachute Regiment.

In town itself, utilising various properties, the 156 Battalion Parachute Regiment were billeted from early 1944 until their disbandment following their return from Arnhem.

In 1943 a new airfield opened up between Melton and the village of Great Dalby to repair, overhaul, modify and deliver both single engine and multi engine aircraft overseas to the various theatres of operation, not only for the RAF but also the USAAF & French Air Force.

Duration

90 minutes

Cost

£5 per head

Tour Meeting Point: Military Working Dogs memorials outside Melton Borough Council, Parkside, Station Approach.

For full Terms & Conditions, please click here.

To enquire about booking this tour, send a message using the email address: email: meltonhistoryfare@gmail.com 

 

Go to Top